How to Create a Hurricane Safety Checklist
With all the devastation from the recent hurricanes, it’s more clear than ever that being prepared for such powerful storms is critically important. Creating a hurricane safety checklist and making sure you have all the items listed on it can keep you and your family safe during the next hurricane.
- Water – A three-day supply for each person (one gallon per person per day)
- Food – Three days’ worth of non-perishable and easy to prepare food per person per day
- Hand-crank or battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries
- Copies of personal documents – ID, passport, birth certificate, proof of address, insurance information
- Emergency contact information – Family and friends, doctor, etc.
- Emergency blanket
- Pet supplies – Food, collar, leash, carrier, etc.
- Extra clothing – Sturdy shoes, hat, jacket, umbrella
- Sunscreen and insect repellent
- Personal hygiene items – Toilet paper, feminine supplies, deodorant, soap
First Aid Kit
- Activated charcoal
- Adhesive bandages
- Adhesive tape
- Anti-bacterial ointment
- Antiseptic wipes
- Cold pack
- Conforming roller gauze bandage
- CPR breathing barrier
- Germicidal hand wipes or waterless hand sanitizer
- Medical grade non-latex gloves
- Over-the-counter pain reliever
- Prescription medications (seven-day supply)
- Sterile dressing
- Sterile gauze pads
- Triangular bandages
Of course, you should customize your hurricane safety checklist to meet the specific needs of your family. If you have a baby or small child you’ll need some extra items, and some older adults may need some additional supplies as well.
Alufab USA can help you make sure your home is protected from hurricanes with our superior selection of shutters, impact doors and windows, storm panels, and much more. Give us a call today at 239-226-4872 to schedule an appointment.